Beyond Dealmaking: Five Steps to Negotiating Profitable Relationships
Getting to yes is not the same as getting results. In Beyond Dealmaking, international negotiation expert and mediator Melanie Billings-Yun shows that the key to winning unbeatable, long-term results in today’s complex economic landscape is to negotiate solid long-term relationships.
Traditionally, negotiation has been approached as an isolated activity, separate from the business relationship. But those who focus only on getting the deal closed often find their victory doesn’t translate into sustainable profits. Any deal is as fragile as the paper it’s written on. Countless disputes arise and deals easily collapse when the negotiation process leaves one party unhappy,
In five clear steps, Billings-Yun takes the pain and fear out of negotiation with her proven GRASP method, showing how to:
- Understand the Goals of all parties, beyond the immediate deal
- Develop Routes to maximize mutual benefit and promote synergy among the parties
- Build openness, trust, and common understanding through valid Arguments
- Benchmark Substitutes to keep relationships from growing stale or one-sided
- Increase your Persuasion through empathetic communication and genuine care
Filled with real-life examples of negotiations that have gone right and wrong, this groundbreaking book shows how fairness, honesty, empathy, flexibility, and mutual problem-solving lead to sustainable success. By following the powerful five-step GRASP negotiation process, anyone can learn to negotiate in a way that is positive, exciting, and rewarding. Most importantly, they will learn that the greatest victories come not through fighting battles, but through building alliances.
About Melanie Billings-Yun
Reviews for Beyond Dealmaking: Five Steps to Negotiating Profitable Relationships