02/08/2001- The Greatest Goalkeeper Of Them All 23/08/2001- Frankeen And The Master 30/08/2001- Best Days Of Our Lives 07/09/2001- The Majestic Game Of Hurling 14/09/2001- The Eglinton Canal 21/09/2001- All Ireland Finals Of The Past
by Tom Kenny
The beginnings of Salthill was the crossroads at Nile Lodge which linked Palmyra Crescent with New Line, Taylors Hill and Bóthar na Trá. Nile Lodge is an early nineteenth century house of a single storey built over a basement. It was reputedly built by an officer in Nelson’s Fleet who took part in the Battle of the Nile. The interior is designed like a bridge on board ship. The house, which was finished in 1807, has rendered and painted walls, a façade of five bays, a low pitched roof with eaves and a glazed porch over a simple timber door case. Not all of this is evident in our photograph which was taken from the top of the Estoria Cinema during the very severe cold stretch of the winter of 1947. People named Judge lived in Nile Lodge, later it was owned by Dr. McMahon and later still by Dr. McDermott.