Russian Politics and Society
Fully revised and updated to reflect the considerable changes in Russia over the last decade, the fifth edition of this classic text builds on the strengths of previous editions to provide a comprehensive and sophisticated analysis of Russian politics and society.
The new edition incorporates the latest debates about Russian politics, analysing recent institutional and political developments, and examines the electoral cycle and prospects of the president elected at the end of the process.
New to this edition:
- an evaluation of Putin’s leadership and the country's political performance under him;
- updated election results and demographic, social, ethnic/national statistics to include results of the
- changes in the party system, to electoral legislation and to the composition of parliament as well as the relationship between the executive and legislature;
- coverage of the constitutional changes and governmental appointments under the various prime ministers;
- more analysis of economic performance including discussion of the energy sector and pipeline politics;
- changes in Russian foreign policy since EU enlargement, its relationship with NATO since the ‘reset’, as well as its relations with post-Soviet states;
- assessment of the military reforms and security and defence policy;
- debates over the question of democracy in Russia today, the nature of the system, and its future prospects.
Written in an accessible and lively style, this book is packed with detailed information on the central debates and issues in Russia’s difficult transformation. An unrivalled textbook on the subject it is essential reading for all those concerned with the fate of Russia, and with the future of international society.
About Richard Sakwa
Reviews for Russian Politics and Society