This photograph of the top of Fairhill was taken shortly before the Old Claddagh was knocked down. The myriad thatched cottages were finally taken down in 1934, and replaced with the housing we see there today. Before that however, occasionally ?modern? houses were built among the cottages. This is an example.
The thatch house belonged to Tom Flaherty. The slated house to the left belonged to Paddy and Maynie Murphy. Much of the stone from the cottage it replaced can be seen piled in front of the house. The building to the left, out of the picture, was the home of John Duggan, who once worked in the Glasgow Coal Yard.
We don?t know who the young boy on the left of the group of children is, but next to him is Michael Lynskey, then Jackie King, Brigid O?Donnell, Theresa Murphy (at the back), Angela Carpenter, Bridie O?Connell, Nora Connell (the tall girl at the back). We have no names for the three small children in the front, but behind them are Mary Julia Lynskey, Mary Margaret Connell, - Lynskey, and ? Finnerty.
The houses on the right in the background were occupied by Mike and Katie Martin, and by Willie Griffin, who worked in the Corporation. The gable in the distance was that of Sarah Curran?s house.
Open Meeting, Saturday 13th September from 2.00pm-5.00pm in Oranmore Library, Co. Galway on getting started in Family History. Admission free. Contact 091-565385.