Fishing in the Cantal at Raven Terrace, 1948.
July 3rd, 2008
Griffith's Valuations, which was published in 1855 lists the occupants and buildings of Raven Terrace (South West End) as Henry Bright, house and yard; James King, house and yard; Robert Langford, house and yard; Anne Coughlan, house and yard; Constabulary Force, police barracks and yard; building (or waste ground) belonging to Rev. Archibald C.McLachlan.
Our photograph was taken just over 90 years later and shows Phil Coyne's Claddagh Bar on the right. Next door lived Hanna and Sheila Gannon, one of whom wore mini skirts long before they became fashionable . They had a sweet shop. Beside that was John and Annie Connolly's Bar. Edward McGuire who was a mechanic in Higgins' Garage, lived there as a lodger .His wife to be, Ethel Corbett worked around the corner with George Gay. They decided to get married and bought Connolly's and changed the name over the door to McGuire's Bar. . Next to that was McGuire's pub. Beside that was Haverty's Bar .Mr. Haverty was one of those swimmers who swam 365 days a year. On the corner beside them you can see part of Beatty's Forge. This was later taken over by Jack Mitchel who had a small garage and did motor repairs, and it is where Ladbrokes is today. Around the corner from him, out of picture , George Gay (who was Jewish) had a furniture shop.
On the opposite corner to Coynes was Curran's Bar and Grocery (where Munroe's is today). Among those who lived in Lower Fairhill at the time were Hehirs, Mulallys, Badgers , Brownes, Cullaghans, John and Paddy Kelly, Courtneys and Cookes.
I don't know where Raven terrace got it's name. The Irish placename is Ard�n na Bhfhiach. It was known locally for a time as Burke's Terrace, (B�thar an Bh�rcaigh) , possibly after Father Tom Burke. The level of the canal in our picture is very low but it must have been good for fishing as you can see a few men standing on the wall with their fishing rods. Notice the lady with the shawl passing Coynes, and the old truck parked on the corner. There cannot have been many places in Galway where three quarters of the street was made up of pubs.
This photograph was taken by Hans Wild and is courtesy of the Hulton/Getty Collection. Our thanks to Arthur McGuire for his help.
We had a letter from Maura Fetherstonhaugh who lives at 63, Woodfield Heights, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton , West Midlands , WV6 8PT. Her grandfather's name was Michael Patrick Carden. He was a retired sergeant in the RIC and he lived at Riverside House in Lower Merchant's Road. That is all the information she has on him. Can anybody help? Her telephone number is 0044 1902 754410.
Please forward any queries/comments to email@example.com
|View the Old Galway Archive|